Designed to be easy to use, set up, and maintain, the BRS Biopellet reactor combo provides everything needed to start running biopellets in your aquarium. Solid carbon dosing (biopellets) has become an extremely popular method of removing nitrates from the aquarium. The BRS Reactor makes it easy to implement by doing away with with thumbs screws, foam pads or leaky lids common with other reactors. The reactor will hold up to 350mL (~1.5 cups) of biopellets.
Features & Benefits
- Nitrate is consumed by bacteria which are then removed through skimming
- Bacteria directly converts nitrite into nitrous oxide so nitrate is never produced
- Bacteria consumes nitrates and processes them down into nitrogen gas
- Nitrate laden Bacteria is consumed by tank inhabitants like corals and sponges
Depending on the system it should take 4-8 weeks for the bacteria population to multiply and begin to have a measurable effect on nitrate levels in your aquarium. Once you have the reactor going we suggest not making any adjustments for 8 weeks. Give the media and bacteria time to adjust to the parameters found in your tank and begin working. The absolute best advice we can give with this system is to set it up and forget about it for two months. Unless something is obviously not right resist all temptation to make any changes until the two months are up.
The BRS Biopellet Reactor features several distinct advantages over other brands.
- Heavy duty all plastic construction.
- High quality easy to use double O-Ring push connect fittings.
- Easy to operate, clean and maintain.
- High quality ball valve for precise tuning.
- Filter wrench
- (2) 3 Ft. sections of tubing
- Instantly attaches to popular pumps using included push connect or threaded fittings.
- 1/2" fittings and ports throughout reduce head pressure and provide ample flow rates.
- Holds up to 350mL of biopellets (~1.5 cups), suitable for tanks 75g or smaller
- Dimensions: 14.5"H x 5.5"W x 5"
BRS Bulk Biopellets
BRS biopellets are made from 100% natural PHA (Polyhydroxyalkanoates), which is a natural substance produced by bacteria to store carbon and energy, making it the ideal solid carbon source for denitrifying bacteria in the aquarium. BRS bio pellets are produced by a leader in the industry, designed specifically for denitrification in aquaria and we believe it to be the best product available. Use of bio pellets will also remove phosphates, combined with wise food selections it can be the only type of phosphate control required.
We recommend 1 cup (236 ml) of BRS biopellets per 50 gallons of system volume.
Feed pump notes - You may use a variety of different feed pumps for this reactor but we recommend and offer the Sicce Syncra silent 1.5 with our reactors.
Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 – This pump is more than strong enough to tumble the biopellets continually and will likely have to be dialed back using the included valve. This will allow room for you to turn up the flow inside the reactor if it were to slow down due to tank debris collecting in the cartridge strainer. This pump option requires the least amount of maintenance and effort.
- It is important to install the reactor close to the water level of your tank/sump to minimize head pressure.
- It is also important to keep the cartridge strainer free of floating tank debris. You can do this by using the foam maxijet prefilter, filter socks on your sump return and placing the pump in a clean area of your sump
- If it does clog you can clean the cartridge strainer as part of your standard maintenance schedule or upgrade the pump at a later date.
- One BRS Biopellet Reactor
- 500mL of BRS Bulk Biopellets
- One refillable cartridge