Why does BRS recommend this?
Felt filter socks give the best qualities of trapping free floating debris to give your tanks water that crystal clear appearance. Felt filter socks with the plastic rings make replacement quick and easy, and most sumps will readily accept the BRS felt filter sock. In most cases we will always put felt filter socks in our sumps.
Filter Socks are used on overflows to remove small floating particles from aquarium water. This can dramatically improve water quality and reduce maintenance on filters that would otherwise become clogged.
Felt Filter Sock is better at removing particles than mesh but can clog faster. The plastic ring fits common sump holders.
200 Micron Filter Sock
Filter socks come in mesh or felt and with a plastic ring or drawstring.
- Mesh: Thin, doesn't clog as easily as felt
- Felt: Thicker, better at removing particles, but can clog faster
- Plastic Ring: attaches via ring that fits common sump holders
- Draw String: attaches directly to plumbing
- BRS recommends starting with felt socks and switching to mesh if they clog faster than desired.
Filter sock benefits:
- Regular use will result in crystal clear water most convenient form of mechanical filtration.
- Remove excess food, detritus, organic waste, dust and other particulates
- A convenient form of mechanical filtration
- Prevents larger objects like sand, crabs, and snails from damaging pump motors
- Reduces ammonia and nitrate producing organic waste
- Increases filter life
Photo credit to Bulk Reef Supply